Sunday, April 5, 2009

This weekend

Went really good. First wedding is over and I'm very happy with the results, missed no shot all day.

Stressed though. So much to do.



Honestly, I'm sick to death of college. It's just a stupid limbo between being a child and getting to the working world. There is no purpose. I'm learning nothing even remotely related to what I intend to do in life and the schools don't care that I use my spare time working on my future career and not spending my time in bars.

I'm stereotyped by a culture that wants to stereotype me and lumps me in with every other college kid who cares more about weed, beer and sex than they do about self improvement and intellectual pursuit. Case in point, this is one of the number one singles in the country and doesn't show any sign of slowing down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43pkqeamXe8 , Asher Roth's "I Love College". Give me a break. This is what kids my age (Granted, not all, I DO NOT CARE if YOU do not smoke weed or drink beer all day. I know this. I don't befriend people who do, at least not to the point of telling them to comment on my blog, so, I know. Not everyone does. Really. I know. Seriously.) this is cool? Give me a break. This is why so many adults just roll their eyes when they hear about college kids. Ugh.

I'm tired of arguing with silly people about how my life should be led.

I'm tired of frats.

Of kids who act so superior because they go to a private school.

Of kids who have their heads so in the clouds that they can't live in the real world.

Of kids how are the exact opposite, with absolutely no dream to speak of for their life other than a drive to make "a shit ton of money".

I'm over all of this. Of trying to keep groups of friends together. Of balancing a TERRIBLE job with an AMAZING girlfriend. Of listening to gossip. Of pretending to like things that I really don't care about at all to keep people from telling me about what they care about. Of being told that I need to care so much about my body.





I want to grow up and be my own person but I feel like college isn't letting me. Damn it.

6 comments:

Padfoot240 said...

Then do it. Screw anything that gets in your way and do be you.

Andrew C said...

College is important because it puts you in the real world with a bunch of other people who have never been in the real world. The ones who don't know how to handle it or don't have any sort of direction do exactly what you describe. And why not go crazy before you end up a working stiff like the rest of us? That choice is up to each person.

For me there was a huge difference between my engineering classes and general education classes. I encountered everything you mentioned, but chose to ignore all of it and focus on my academics. I didn't party and drink, but I also missed out building any sort of relationship with fellow students.

I'm just confused why you think external forces have so much influence and power over you? You're whining about how things are but you make no attempt to understand or explain any of it. That is the essence of the "intellectual pursuit" you mention. Learning how to think and analyze to make sense out of information is vastly more important than simply accumulating information.

You've laid out how you think things are, but haven't addressed why they're that way. The sky is blue, but why is it blue?

Trento said...

That's unfortunate. My college is experience is vastly different and totally positive. I'm sorry man.

Padfoot240 said...

For the record I also agree with Trent.

Niall said...

It's really not that bad. Last night I just felt really sick, I have sever tonsillitis, and I'm stressed about doing a bunch of homework and editing wedding pictures... yadda yadda.

Just a vent post. And the sky is blue due to the make up of our atmosphere and the reflection of the sun off of those gases. Just sayin'.

Lol, in all seriousness, I wasn't looking to solve anything last night. Not needing to figure anything else out. I know what I have to do and I'm going to do it, but I think we can all agree that sometimes life just gets extremely annoying.

Thanks guys. And no, college isn't all bad. I'm having a lot of fun too. Just overwhelming sometimes.

Amy said...

looking forward to seeing some pictures of the wedding!