Monday, June 9, 2008

Big Trucks

I was cleaning the bathroom today for my mom and listening to my ipod on shuffle when the song "Big Trucks" came up by Pedro The Lion. Not being terribly familiar with Pedro's back catalog I intently listened to the lyrics. Well here are those lyrics:

Dad, dad, why did you let that man push you around like that
you should've beat him down - down to the ground - down to the ground for that
he says, "son, you're still young and you always jump the gun"
there are real people in the big, big trucks
that you flip off when they get in your way
you get so hacked, that you pay no mind to the great big sign that says oversized load
do you really think they can go as fast, as you in your 87 trans am
they know you're in a terrible rush but they're going just as fast, as fast as they can
dad, dad, i really don't understand what driving big trucks has to do with that man
you should've taught him a lesson about being rude about talking to you with such an attitude
son you're still young and you always jump the gun
you get so hacked, that you pay no mind to the great big sign that says oversized load
do you really think they can go as fast, as you in your 87 trans am
they know you're in a terrible rush but they're going just as fast, as fast as they can

Well, needless to say, that song spoke to me really deeply. I have so much to learn about growing up from this simple lesson.

I really do jump the gun with my impatience so often. Every day I find myself getting frustrated with someone because they talk to slowly, or they aren't talking about what I want, or this or that. Or I always catch myself getting ready to fight someone when it just isn't necessary.

Dear God, I would like patience. I know that I've prayed for patience before but I don't think that I did it with the right heart. I would like wisdom and discernment in my everyday life so that I may be an overall calm and patient person, not just someone who doesn't get annoyed when babies cry in the supermarket. Thank you Daddy, for all that you do for me, even though I leave you in the cold, time and time again.

And as for Pedro The Lion: If you like singer/songwriter type music or even a little bit of mellow alt-country then do yourself a HUGE favor and get yourself some Pedro the Lion albums. http://www.myspace.com/pedrothelion - and I'm happy to see that the song "Big Trucks" is on the page so you can hear it if you'd like.

No comments: