Monday, February 9, 2009

New job and book list

Finally found a job! I will now be working at the Souplantation in Fullerton. Hot damn! Come down and visit.

I've recently decided that I need to start reading more. For the sheer sake of organization (and my own lack there of), I will use the rest of this post to create a list of books that I hope to finish by the end of the semester.

In order of which I hope to read them by:
You Shall Know Our Velocity! - Dave Eggers (done)
The Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac (in progress)
Fear and Trembling - Soren Kierkegaard
The Wind Up Bird Chronicles - Haruki Murakami
Coming Up For Air - George Orwell
The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
A New Kind Of Christian - Brian McLaren
Surprised by Joy - CS Lewis
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
The Sound and Fury - William Faulkner
Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

After I read these (should finish out the semester) I hope to finish the rest of the works by most of the writers on here, and me being most notably excited for Murakami, Eggers, Kerouac, Dostoyevsky and Lewis.

Anyone else had their nose in a book lately?

6 comments:

Andrew C said...

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Not exactly a riveting piece of fiction, but it has been very informative. "Boglehead" refers to admirers of John Bogle, founder of the Vanguard mutual company which I'm quickly becoming as I futher develop my investing philosophy.

Niall said...

Sounds to me, that in this day in age, I should be considering that book as well.

Trento said...

Mostly just school reading. Its rough. But over break I did get some solid leisure reading.

Naked Lunch and The Sound and the Fury are both very good. I can't attest for the rest.

Niall said...

I'm VERY excited to read Naked Lunch so I'm glad you can vouch for it.

I think that if you get the chance you should definitely check out Eggers or Murakami; both are fantastically wonderful authors and storytellers!

ANDIE DIAZ said...

I have the dharma bums. I tried to read it, but i didn't really like it. you can have it if you want.

Niall said...

Already reading it! Thanks though Andie.