Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Professional Opinions Needed

In my quest to start my own business I am currently designing all of my online options, website, blog.. ya know. This post is about the blog section. I've decided to go with wordpress because I really like what I've seen and the options that are available to me. Since it will be a strictly photo blog that showcases the latest projects and such, I am looking for a wordpress theme that is simple with a huge emphasis on the photos being posted, yet retaining easy navigation. With that criterion set, I have come to these to themes..

http://labs.andreamignolo.com/zack990/

http://labs.andreamignolo.com/ocularprof/

I would like everyone's opinion as to which of the two layouts they like better. Please leave your feedback in the comments.. THANK YOU!

9 comments:

JoJo said...

I like the size of the photos on the first page, but I like the mood and layout of the second one better. If I had to choose, I'd go with the second one. People can always click to the full size one your flickr.

Niall said...

The thing about my flickr is that I'm trying to not have people head over there anymore for professional reasons.. linking to flickr doesn't look that good to clients.

JoJo said...

Ok, I understand that. my pick would still be the second though.

Andrew C said...

Second one is better, could even go with a smaller image and offer a bigger image with the Lightbox plugin. If I'm scrolling through the page I want to get between each post quickly, if I'm interested then I can click for a bigger size. I also like the title and metadata off to the right better.

Padfoot240 said...

Definitely the 2nd one. Start the 2nd one of as your base and continue from there to make it more professional.

Niall said...

What are everyone's issues with the first because I feel much more strongly about it. I LOVE the size of the photos (as did my boss and fellow photographer Samuel).. is there something I can do to "fix" that layout if you chose the other?

Andrew C said...

The second one is just better from an overall design standpoint. I can see the entire first post on the 2nd theme without scrolling, that's huge. With 990x660px images you're forcing the viewer to scroll very precisely to get the whole image displayed at once if they can at all.

White space is very important in web design. At normal browser sizes the first theme doesn't have enough white space and just feels cramped and awkward. It needs the browser to be almost 1200px wide before it opens up and starts to feel balanced.

Second one is just way more polished and thoughtfully designed. Even the footer is better.

ANDIE DIAZ said...

i'm also very much enjoying the 2nd one. tghe pictures are a bit overwhelming on the first. coming from a non-photographic standpoint (which i assume your customers will as well) the second one is a lot easier on the eyes.

however it is ultimately your decision to do what you like and what represents niall mccarthy, artiste extraordinaire. :)

bigbenton said...

i like ocularproo one